The Rainbow Mountain of Cusco – Peru, also known as Vinicunca, is stunning and can be seen on the spectacular Ausangate. Ausangate mountain itself is considered a holy mountain (or mountain spirit) by local Peruvians and is the deity of Cusco. Since pre-Inca times the mountain has been a place of worship and offerings and this tradition continues today.
On this trek you will see quaint villages, beautiful adobe style houses, herds of llamas and alpacas and you will have magnificent views of the Ausangate Glacier (6,385 m / 20,945 ft), the highest mountain in the Cusco region.
With uninterrupted beauty and solitude, this is a spectacular trip for trekkers who love a true outdoor adventure.
Experience the Rainbow Mountain, one of Peru’s most striking geological features, during this full-day trek. Challenge yourself on this hard-but-rewarding hike, enjoying the alpine views along the way, as you witness the colorful spectacle of the mountainside that looks painted with turquoise, red and gold paint. A guide and round-trip hotel transport are also covered.
You’ll spend the next 3 hours scaling Colorado Mountain, eventually reaching the summit, where you will take in panoramic views of the surrounding alpine scenery. The mountain’s unique layers of red, gold and turquoise rocks add an unexpected, and photogenic, bonus to this beautiful vista.
Spend the next 2 hours trekking back down the mountain, after which you will drive back and receive a drop-off at your Cusco hotel.
• Make a trek to the colorful scenery of Peru’s Rainbow Mountain. • Admire the unique turquoise, gold and red layers of Rainbow Mountain. • Hike through the beautiful alpine scenery of the Peruvian Andes. • Make friends jealous with incredible photos of this unusually-colored geological feature. • Private guide ensures personalized experience and service.
We will pick you up early from your Cusco hotel and set out on a drive through the south valley. The drive to the trailhead at Quesiuno (4,326 m/ 14,189 ft) is 3 hours long. Once we reach the Inkintuyoc bridge, we will have a fueling continental breakfast.
We then start off on our hike, following a lovely stream. You will be immediately surprised by literally herds of alpacas and llamas. We will have consistent views of the Ausangate Mountain. We will hike through villages and interact with the local residents. We will stop for a deluxe box lunch along the trail.
Back on the trail, we encounter more of the traditional elements of this trek. This includes potato fields and unique fauna. We have the prospect of seeing chinchillas and vicuñas. Vicuñas are the only non-domesticated animal of the llama family in Perú. Many red mountains are also a highlight of this portion of the hike.
After a total hike of approximately 3 hours, we finally reach our destination, what we came to see…the Rainbow Mountain (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). After getting over the shock of their beauty, you will have time to explore the area. You will have time to take pictures and soak in the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, it is time to go back down. We hike downhill the way we came. The hike will take 2 to 3 hours.
Our private van will be waiting for us when we return.
We will embark on the 3 hours’ drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your Cusco hotel. Approximate arrival time is between 8 and 9 pm.
Meals: Continental Breakfast / Box Lunch.
Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m/ 14,189 ft.
Highest Elevation: 5,020 m/ 16,466 ft.
Distance to Walk: 15 km / 9 ¼ miles.
Approximate Walking Time: 2 to 3 hours up; 1 to 2 hours down.
Level of Difficulty: Challenging.
Location: Cusco, Peru
Duration: 1 day (Approx.)
• Entrance fees.
• Bottled water.
• Light refreshments.
• Professional guide.
• Hotel/port pickup and drop-off.
• Guided tour.
• Transport by air-conditioned coach.
• Food and drinks, unless specified.
• Gratuities (optional).
• The listed price does not include a $ 10 per person departure tax, payable at the time of tour check-in. The departure tax is required by our local supplier and/or the local transit or governing authority and is not within our control.
Departs: Daily departures from Monday to Sunday all year long.
Departure Point: Centrally located Cusco hotel.
Departure Time: 3am. Hotel pickups commence prior to this time. Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Duration: 1 day (Approx).
Return Details: Original departure point.
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking.
• May be operated by a multi-lingual guide.
• Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking.
• Not recommended for participants with back problems.
• Not recommended for pregnant women.
• A moderate amount of walking is involved.
• Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
• A minimum of 2 people per booking is required.